Allocation of Ministry Share – DBF Policy
Updated November 2016
Ministry Share is allocated at Parish, United Parish or Rectorial Benefice (‘Parish or Benefice’) level using a three year rolling average of Average Sunday Attendance in the ‘Parish or Benefice’.
Any increase or decrease in Ministry Share is capped at 15%.
A ‘Parish or Benefice’ paying its quarterly Ministry Share on or by the due date is entitled to a 4% discount (which is deducted from the amount payable). No discount is allowed if there are arrears of Ministry Share.
Definition of Sunday Attendance
The total of all attenders in the ‘Parish or Benefice’ at all Normal Pattern Sunday Services for worship (including non-communicants) is required.
The above total should reflect the following:
- Attenders at Easter and Christmas (if it falls on a Sunday) should be excluded
- Attenders who are under 18 should be excluded
- Members of the congregation who attend more than one service on a Sunday should only be counted once
- Where a church has closed, the attendance figures for that church should be excluded from the total for each of the three years figures requested
- Attenders statistics are amended to reflect re-groupings that have occurred during the three-year period
Calculation of Allocation of Ministry Share
- a) Each ‘Parish or Benefice’ is requested to complete the statistics form, produced by the Board, which records the total attenders for the requested year.
- b) The total attenders for the requested year is divided by 50 to obtain an ‘Average Sunday Attendance’.
- c) The figure obtained in (b) above is then used with the preceeding two years ‘Average Sunday Attendance’ figures (previously supplied) to provide the basis for the three years on which the rolling ‘Average Sunday Attendance’ is calculated.
- d) The three years ‘Average Sunday Attendance’ figures are added and divided by 3 to obtain the three year rolling ‘Average Sunday Attendance’.
- e) Ministry Share is then allocated proportionately to each ‘Parish or Benefice’ based on the three year rolling ‘Average Sunday Attendance’.
- f) The Ministry Share allocation is then checked to ensure that no ‘Parish or Benefice’ has an increase or decrease greater than 15%.
- g) The excess Ministry Share not allocated as a result of the capping is then re-distributed among the remaining ‘Parishes or Benefices’ on a proportionate basis – again ensuring that no ‘Parish or Benefice’ has an increase or decrease greater than 15%.