A Ceredigion church on the pilgrim trail to St Davids is to get a makeover, with help from a community grant awarded by the National Churches Trust.
St David’s Church, Blaenporth has received £10,000 to help develop the interior as a community space.
The space is much needed as there is no other public building in the village. The building is to be re-ordered, including removal of pews to create a less restrictive space, installation of toilets, improvements to the kitchen, and connection to the mains water supply.
Currently water has to be carried into the church every week. The
heating and lighting will also be upgraded.
The church will be able to offer activities for groups of all ages, reaching out to the elderly and isolated and also young families as there is no public play area for children in the village.
IT facilities will also provide opportunities to train members of the community in computer skills.
This will help ensure the future of the church, which stands on a site where there has been a place of worship since before 1066.
There are close links to Gruffydd ap Rhys in the 12th century although the present building dates from 1865 and is a Grade II listed building.