As we journey towards the centenary of the Church in Wales in 2020, the diocese has undertaken a comprehensive analysis of its strengths and weaknesses. Our inspiration for this exercise has been the Five Marks of Mission
(c)Icons reproduced courtesy of Us (formerly USPG)
- To proclaim the good news of the kingdom
- To teach, baptise and nurture new believers
- To respond to human need by loving service
- To challenge violence, injustice and oppression, and work for peace and reconciliation*
- To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and sustain and renew the life of the earth
The Five Marks were developed by the Anglican Consultative Council at successive meetings from 1984 to 1990 when, at its meeting in Wales, they were finally adopted.
*The fourth mark was updated in late 2012 to reflect the importance of God’s mission in peace, conflict transformation and reconciliation.
The Mission prayer takes us to the heart of what we believe God is calling us to do and to become. We know that plans and initiatives will always depend on the quality of Christian living and discipleship in the diocese. And so we pray: