The Diocese of St Davids is inviting entries into a competition to find a new liturgical hymn to celebrate its centenary and that of the Church in Wales in 2020.
There are two categories: an Open category and one reserved for entries from Church in Wales Schools. Entries by multiple authors will be accepted. Authors may submit multiple entries.
Participation is open to all, not just residents of St Davids Diocese. There is no entry charge.
A winner will be chosen from each category. However, the Diocesan Judging Panel reserves the right to select no winner in either category, nor any winner at all.
The hymn must be new words set to an existing tune or new words set to a new tune. It should be celebratory in tone, giving thanks to God for the past 100 years and praying for His grace in the years ahead. It should be suitable for congregational hymn singing.
Entries can be in English and/or Welsh. Complete hymns, of at least three verses, should be submitted both as an independent text and, where appropriate, a PDF score, plus an optional mp3 recording.
- only original tunes may be submitted as a score. If an existing tune is recommended it can be indicated in the ‘Recommended Tune’ field on the submission form.
- The score may be computer generated or handwritten but must be legible in order to be considered.
- The score should have text interlined within the staves. The minimum required is a melody line with chords above
- Any previous public performance or publication of an entry will render it ineligible
- Hymns will be judged anonymously. To preserve anonymity, the name of the composer and author of the hymn should appear only on the entry form and not on the copies submitted for judging. The judges’ decision is final.
- In the case of a complete hymn, the judges reserve the right to award the prize to the text only and pair it with another tune when publishing.
- The judges reserve the right to amend potential winning entries, in consultation with their author(s)
- Copyright for the winning composition will be retained jointly by the composer(s) and the Diocese. By entering this contest, the composer(s) agree(s) to permit the use of his, her or their composition by all churches, congregations and choirs within the Diocese of St Davids in perpetuity, and, if published, the composition must include an acknowledgement as determined by the Diocesan Judging Panel.
There is no cash prize. It is hoped that the winning entry will be included in the order of service for the diocesan centenary service in St Davids Cathedral.
Entries can be submitted electronically or by post. The closing date for entries Is March 1st 2020 Electronic submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and entitled Hymn Competition Entry and attaching a completed Submission Form
Postal Entries should be sent to:
Centenary Hymn Competition,
Diocese of St Davids,
CARMARTHEN SA31 2JG